Hornet News

HSSC Weekly Report including Coronavirus and AGM Update - Friday 27 March 2020

From the Club Sec: NO ACCESS TO FORT BLOCKHOUSE SITES INCLUDING THE MARINA AND FB3 UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE

Dear Members,

The Commodore wishes to thank all the members for their understanding and co-operation over the last week as the Club has rapidly had to wind down all activity. He suspects that like most of you he already has cabin fever and is longing to be out on the water.
One area of concern to myself and the Commodore from the very start of this crisis has been to protect our staff, both their jobs and their financial security. We committed to paying the salaries of all our staff well before the Government pledged financial support. This was welcomed by our team and I am sure our loyalty to them has been appreciated; we also intend to pay our casual staff a small monthly retainer. The Commodore, Flag Officers and I are determined that we position the Club in the best possible place with respect to staffing to ensure a speedy return to normality.

We no longer have access to the Marina or FB3 until further notice. This is a MOD decision to shut the site down to all Club members and non-essential MOD employees. We have managed to obtain exceptional approval for our marina manager to carry out safety and security rounds at regular intervals. Those members who have emailed me with safety concerns for their boats, rest assured Stewart will routinely check your boat. There is likely to be more restrictions to come before we see the situation improve.

As outlined in the Commodore’s email dated 18 Mar we will keep the AGM to schedule on Sat 18 Apr with supporting papers posted online and voting carried out electronically. To begin, the agenda is attached along with the calling notice for the AGM and minutes of the last AGM Sat 13 Apr 19 (Constitution Art 2.5.4.2). Supporting papers and voting forms will follow soon and this will provide you an opportunity to submit any questions you may have by Tue 14th Apr; a composite Q&A of all questions will be emailed and posted on the website by Fri 17th Apr.

The succession of Club Commodore has now been deferred until a date to be confirmed once we are through this Coronavirus crisis. When this is decided a General Meeting will be called.

Whilst in this health and economic crisis I am sure we are all doing what we can to support family and others around us. I would like to use my weekly emails or to post on the website any articles of interest, or links to sites that others might like to enjoy reading. I would be happy to take any other suggestions that might brighten up our lives during this time of deep uncertainty. Please email me if you would like to contribute.

A message I received from HRH The Princess Royal is posted on the website as a previous News item.

Best regards and stay safe!

Arty Shaw